Cabbage - Top 10 undisputed benefits
by Vegan Box
Apart from the fact that it is used in the kitchen in so many ways, cabbage also has other health benefits, this time. Cabbage is a vegetable rich in phytonutrients and vitamins (A, C and K), natural antioxidants that prevent cancer and heart disease by neutralizing free radicals. Let's see what are the most significant benefits of eating cabbage on the body:
This vegetable has many positive effects on health and can be eaten both raw, in salads and cooked, without losing its nutritional qualities.
There are over 400 varieties of cabbage in the world that differ in shape, size and color (green, white, red, purple, etc.), but the most well-known and consumed is light green cabbage, which can be found at any supermarket. or market, is advantageous in terms of price and can be prepared in many recipes, from the common cabbage salad, to elaborate recipes of smoked sauerkraut, delicious cabbage meatballs with semolina, cabbage soup or wonderful cabbage pie and pumpkin. Apart from the fact that it is used in the kitchen in so many ways, cabbage also has other health benefits, this time. Cabbage is a vegetable rich in phytonutrients and vitamins (A, C and K), natural antioxidants that prevent cancer and heart disease by neutralizing free radicals.
- It has a lot of fiber, as a result it prevents constipation and promotes a healthy intestinal transit.
- Cabbage juice is indicated in the treatment of ulcers because it has alkaline properties and a substance called glutamine that helps reduce inflammation of the stomach lining.
- Cabbage folic acid is excellent for pregnant women, who need this compound to protect the newborn from birth defects.
- Cabbage leaves, lightly soaked in lukewarm water, can be applied to the breasts when we miss breastfeeding. They have anti-inflammatory effects and release substances that relieve the sensation of pain. Cabbage leaves can also be applied to painful joints.
- Cabbage contains vitamin C, which strengthens the immune system and protects us from colds. It is also an important source of beta-carotene, which protects eyesight from aging, including cataracts.
- Cabbage is a great choice if you are on a diet because it has very few calories and it is delicious.
- Red cabbage can reduce the risk of diseases in old age, such as Alzheimer's disease, thanks to antioxidants and vitamin K, which help prevent cholesterol deposits in the blood vessels, including those in the brain.
- The skin looks better, fresher and brighter if we eat cabbage, also due to the antioxidants that protect us from the harmful action of ultraviolet rays and other environmental factors that can affect the upper layer of the dermis.
- Regular consumption of cabbage has an anticancer effect due to anthocyanins. A study conducted in China shows that a daily consumption of cruciferous vegetables (such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts) is associated with a much lower risk of breast cancer.
- Cabbage contains lactic acid, known for its positive effect on muscles.
For people with thyroid problems, eating cabbage is contraindicated because it can interfere with iodine levels in the body and can aggravate the disease.